You will need:
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 1-tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch of grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
- 1 cup of diced kombocha squash
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
Place the two cups of lentils in a strainer and rinse well with cold water. Pour the lentils into a medium sauce pan. Add the 4 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down to a simmer until the lentils are soft, about 15 minutes.
While the lentils are cooking, heat up the coconut oil in a large sauce plan and add the onion, garlic and ginger root. Cook until translucent, about 3 minutes, stirring continuously, making sure that the garlic does not burn. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and salt. Cook for another 3 minutes.
Now add the cooked lentils along with the lentil cooking water to the onion mixture. Add the kombocha squash and diced tomatoes. Add water if needed. Cook on a simmer until the squash is tender. Then add the chopped kale and give the dal a good stir.
Cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add more salt if necessary. Stir in the chopped cilantro and remove from heat.
Serve with quinoa or brown rice.